Youth in Ministry
Our goal for Youth Ministry at Church of the Savior is, by God’s grace and with the assistance of His Spirit, to assist parents in nurturing faith in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior in the heart of each young person with whom we come in contact.
Also, we strive to build a sense of community among our youth, as well as a sense of belonging to and being part of the larger family of faith here at Church of the Savior and around the world. These goals are ever-present in our thoughts and prayers as we plan and conduct all areas of our youth ministry activities and programs.
Ways our young people are serving the Lord –
• CROP Walk – to fight hunger
• “Souper Bowl” food and funds collection to fight hunger
• Cookie bake for Christmas college care packages
• Christmas caroling
• Assistants in Sunday School
• Child Care assistants during Sunday morning worship
• Worship Band and Choir
• Hand Chime Choir
• Youth lectors (readers of the Sunday lessons)
• Assistants at Vacation Bible School
• Service Projects
• Special Outings
• Having fun and growing faith
• Sunday School 8:45 – 9:45 AM Sunday for pre-K thru adult
• First Holy Communion instruction on a designated Saturday. Contact the pastor to arrange participation.
• Nine Unit Confirmation program offered over a two-year span.
“Growing in God’s Grace”
Confirmation class for 8th graders meets for one hour every Tues. at 7 PM. 7th and 8th graders are expected to be regular in attendance at worship and Sunday School. There will be occasional service projects and other activities in preparation for adult church membership.
Another name for the event called Confirmation is Affirmation of Baptism. It is the time when a young person, usually in 8th grade, stands before the congregation and confesses for themselves, now on the brink of adulthood, the faith that they hold that their parents proclaimed for them at their baptism. If a teenager or adult comes to the church for baptism, then often a period of instruction, their baptism and confirmation are one and the same event.
The instruction for 7th and 8th graders is also called “Confirmation”. During this two-year period, the classes cover Baptism, the Lord’s Prayer, the Ten Commandments, and each of the Persons of the Trinity (Father Creator – Jesus the Redeemer – the Holy Spirit, our Sustainer).
Bible class for both grades meets Sunday at 8:45 AM. The second year students, usually 8th graders, meet on Tuesday at 7 PM. The Order for Confirmation takes place on the Festival of Pentecost.
Our test for study is the Small Catechism by Martin Luther, which can be found at https://www.bookofconcord.org/smallcatechism.php.